Sunday, June 18, 2006

Sailing in the San Fransisco Bay

I just returned from a visit with my uncle who lives in the San Fransisco Bay area. I took the Amtrak train up and back. There was a frieght train derailment on Wednesday when I left and so I had to bus it part of the way up. My uncle recently purchased a 32 ft Pearson sailboat. It is quite a nice boat and we got to go sailing a few days. Thursday we went out into the Bay for a few hours and just sailed under the Bay Bridge. Friday we headed out for an overnight. We started out with good winds and we sailed past Alcatraz Island and saw Angel Island from a distance. We sailed close to the city too, but I was making sandwiches then so didn't get to see it up close. We ended up anchoring in Richardson Bay for the evening. We saw plenty of huge freight ships and one that had come all the way from China. We saw lots of other sail boats and even some sea lions swimming around. The evening on the boat was nice and peaceful. I woke up only once when the boat was rocking from the waves. In the morning we headed further North in the Bay, past Angel island on the North side and checked out another possible anchoring spot before heading back. We got some great wind on the way back in and made some good time over the water. I admit my nervousness when the boat heeled over with the wind. I guess I just wasn't sure how far it could heel over without capsizing. It was a great time on the water and and even better time visiting with my uncle. We don't get to see each other much seeing that I live in Indiana and he in California. I was grateful to have the opportunity to come up and go sailing with him. Below are some pictures that he took of me on the boat.




No comments: